Just a week after Brigg went biking in Denali, we went down to camp at Teklanika for 3 nights over the 4th of July weekend. We had a great time and it brought back lots of memories of camping there as a kid for me. We even introduced the boys to flying kites down on the river bed, just like I used to do when I was little. Stratton did a great job with his kite all by himself.
Dashell still needs a little more supervision, but thought that letting the line roll out was hilarious!
Stratton taking his Dad for a hike in the backpack. The boys were ready and willing for any hike or expedition we could come up with while we were there, although I think having older cousins there, too helped.
Stratton by the Toklat River making a funny face. He loved the day we rode the bus into the park and turned out to be quite a wildlife spotter! He has mastered binoculars and could even find the animals through them. Considering that I still sometimes find myself looking at the bush 5 feet away instead of the animal, I was quite impressed. His attention to detail can be handy for some things!
Dashell at the Toklat River. We all spent most of the weekend looking about like him- head to toe raingear and a fair share of mud. But we still had a great time and the boys didn't seem to mind the wet weather too much. They seem to take to camping completely naturally, much to our relief. They're going to be doing alot of it! On the other hand, although I still love camping, I'm not sure that I will ever take naturally to camping 8 months pregnant- I had to make sure no one was watching whenever I got in or out of the tent becuase it was AWKWARD. But this baby has to be broken in sometime, why not in utero? And really, other than negotiating the tent door, it wasn't so bad. But maybe I was just ready to get out and do something! Next year I want to be able to go with Brigg on all the adventures instead of sending him out while I expand at home.

No comments:
Post a Comment