Stratton woke up this morning with a bad cough, so we have been home all day long. I think it is the first time we’ve been home all day in weeks, maybe even months. I thought in honor of his first sick day out from (pre)school, I would write down some of Stratton’s funny things lately, as well as the rest of the news around here.
Our house continues at a wild pace with lots of sound effects along the way. Dashell is constantly running around in his cape telling me he is a “Super Guy” and narrating every moment of his life, his current favorite phrase being, “ Wow! Neat!” Stratton continues to come up with funny phrases that you don’t expect from him. This week, he keeps telling me, “ That’s the number one point” when he wants to emphasize what we NEED to do that day. One BiG news flash....Booger Dog has returned! We lost Stratton’s faithful lifetime companion a couple months ago and after looking for weeks, gave up the search. Two weeks ago when Brigg was shifting some boxes, he was found! It’s still not clear how he ended up where he was, but at least Stratton’s primary childhood legacy to this point has not been lost. Another major change....Dashell has moved into a toddler bed in Stratton’s room. There is an excellent possibility that this was a huge error in judgment on my part, but after the first night there was no going back. Dashell refuses to sleep in his own room under any circumstances. Even the separate naps are a losing battle at this point.
Brigg has had the flu all week. After months of nagging him to go get his flu shot, he just went ahead and got the flu. Maybe his experience will humble him for next year! He is not one who gets sick, ever. I can only think of 2 or 3 times in our married life that he has been really and truly sick. Lucky for him, this is one of those times. Luckily, the rest of us did get our flu shots and seem to have escaped. We did go to the Banff Film Festival this past weekend before he got sick, so he has been busy dreaming of fishing trips to Kamchatka while he’s been laid out. I think he has found 4 or 5 places he wants to go in the last two days. Having him sick in bed is dangerous to our vacation plans!
Stratton has continued his ice skating lessons under great pressure. He will go ice skating with us during the week and laugh and giggle and love it, but come Saturday and time to skate without us, and you would think that we were asking him to swim the English Channel. We will all be relieved when he finishes his last lesson this week. I am not sure that hockey is in his immediate future.
On the other hand, he does make us laugh. Tonight we were talking about shots and I was telling him that he didn’t have to get anymore shots until he was 10.I said, “ I said you don’t have to get any more shots for even longer than you have been alive!” And he said, “ But I don’t want to die.” Brigg started laughing so hard at him. Apparently we are still a little fuzzy on life spans and how some expressions work. He also has an imaginary friend named Mr. Bakinley who he drives to see in his own super fast small blue car. Mr. Bakinley has 6 arms, 3 legs and blue hair. I hope he is a good influence! He is such a sweet little boy, and he certainly doesn’t get it from me! He is very naturally complimentary and kind. My mom was watching them the other night and after she put them to bed and it was totally dark, she heard Stratton say, “ Grandma? I really like your socks. They are very nice.” Today, he missed his Valentine’s Day party at preschool because of his cough, but his preschool teacher let me bring all his Valentines home for him since I had to drop something off at school even though he wasn’t going. This was his first year really getting Valentines and he loved it! About 2 minutes after he started opening all of them he said, “ Mom, I really like all the valentines my friends gave me. I think I should make all of them thank you cards so they know how much I like them.” Now we just hope that he is better in the morning!
No comments:
Post a Comment