Now on to Stratton's highlights for the end of 2011. It is hard for me to leave out what has already been the highlights of 2012, but one step at a time in this catching up process! Stratton is growing up in front of us- literally. His pants that are too long for him one day are too short within 10 days. He continues to be our small responsible boy constantly trying to get his mom to be less laid back about things...he worries and plans more than any 5 year old should. One morning he was asking me a question after question about something and I finally told him not to worry about it, that a grown up would take care of it and he sighed and shook his head and said, "Sometime I feel like a grown up already." That poor kid will probably have my retirement home lined up for me before he gets to high school. After all, he clearly feels like somebody needs to be planning these things. He is a clever and unusually self aware boy who continues to surprise us with his memory and ability to learn massive amounts of information about things that he is interested in, mostly science. Just ask him about earthquakes, volcanoes, owls, animal camoflage, or any of a number of other things, mostly science and nature related. He is always thorough and meticulous to the point of driving me crazy and loves "projects" of any variety. As long as you call helping with the dishes a project, he's in. Mostly he prefers art projects, but anything will work. He plans ahead to an amazing degree. One day when we were driving between my parents old home and their new home he was describing in intricate detail what his house would be like, how many rooms, what would be in each room, where he would build it (next door to us, incidentally). When I asked him if he would live there alone, he said no. So I asked who he would live with and he said "I don't know." Everything else had been so detailed that I asked him, "You don't know who you'll live with, just that you won't live alone?" And he said, " Well Mom, I don't know who I'll be married to!" That's my oldest, already planning his wedding, just needs to fill in the bride apparently! Good things he's got 20 years or so. At Christmas when we went to see Santa, he refused to ask for anything because he needed to mail a list that could include everything. He didn't think it would be fair to just tell him one or two things and leave his requests incomplete. He is a very helpful oldest brother and his personality lends itself well to helping out with Pilot on occasion. One day I left him with Pilot for a minute while I ran to get the phone and a few minutes later I heard him yelling, "Help! Help!" I came running back upstairs to hear him saying, "Help! I'm watching Pilot and I need to go downstairs." I guess I should be grateful that at least he stays with him until help arrives! When we were in California at Thanksgiving, we went to Legoland with the boys. By about 2:30 in the afternoon, Brigg and I were getting tired, so we asked the boys if they were ready to call it a day. Stratton said in all seriousness, " Yes, I think we've had enough excitement for one day." Even after we came home, I asked him if he had remembered something for preschool and he told me, " I must have forgotten because of all the excitement!" Lucky for us, he still has a silly streak a mile wide and is not all business all the time. If you are ever lucky enough to see his dance moves, you will know what I mean. For all his hurry to grow up, he still can be super silly and very much a 5 year old. Thank goodness! I'm not ready for him to be any bigger just yet.
4/2/12
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment